Caption: Fort Niagara, 1814
Fort Niagara was built by the French in 1726, and fell to the British in 1759. In 1796, it was turned over to the United States following Jay’s Treaty. The fort was captured during a surprise assault by British and Canadian troops on 31 December 1813. It was returned to the United States after the end of the War of 1812. This view appeared in the Philadelphia magazine 'The Port Folio' of April 1814. Note the British civil ensign (red with the Union flag in the canton) flying over the fort.
- Date modified: