Fort Lennox, 1896

Caption: Fort Lennox, 1896

Because it is situated on the island of Île-aux-Noix, Fort Lennox has changed very little from the time of its construction, which started in 1819. The fort was built in reaction to the construction of American Fort Montgomery, 15 kilometres to the south. This view shows it as it appeared in 1896. After its regular garrison was withdrawn in the late 1860s, the fort was used as a training camp, a school, and detention camp during both world wars. It is now restored to its appearance in the 1820s and 1830s as a National Historic Site. (Library and Archives Canada, C-036685)