Back

Lower Fort Garry, Winnipeg, circa 1848

Caption: Lower Fort Garry, Winnipeg, circa 1848

From the early 19th century to the 1870s, Lower Fort Garry was the administrative and military centre of the Canadian Prairies. British troops were first stationed there during 1846-1848, at the time this illustration of the fort was made by H.J. Warre. (Library and Archives Canada, C-001629)