This view of the harbour at Louisbourg in the summer of 1744 gives an idea of how busy the port could be. Both merchant ships and warships (at right) can be seen. In the background, the lighthouse is visible at the entrance to the port and a cloud of smoke arises from a careened ship. In the foreground, members of the fortress garrison can be seen at work around the guardhouse. Reconstruction by Lewis Parker.