History Browser

Search Results

Organization > Parks Canada

Subject > Weapons, Equipment and Fortifications > Equipment, Materials and Infrastructure

St. Andrews Blockhouse National Historic Site of Canada: The War of 1812

Type: Document

It is June of 1812, and war has been declared between the United States and Great Britain! Tension has been simmering between these two nations for many years and for many reasons.

Site: Parks Canada

St. Andrews Blockhouse National Historic Site of Canada: Military Services

Type: Document

After the war ended in 1814, St. Andrews Blockhouse continued to be used as a barracks by the Royal Artillery.

Site: Parks Canada

York Redoubt - History

Type: Document

In 1793, at the outbreak of war between Britain and revolutionary France, harbour batteries were hastily erected to secure Halifax from attack by sea. In the 19th century York Redoubt and the Citadel used signal flags to keep each other informed of ships' movements. During the First World War, the site was used as barracks for assigned infantry and for troops waiting to go overseas. Early in the Second World War, the Redoubt was the nerve centre for harbour defences, and included an anti-submarine net. York Redoubt remained in military use until 1956.

Site: Parks Canada

Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site of Canada: A Multi-Purpose Structure

Type: Document

The site at Coteau-du-Lac represented a major point of transit for British military logistics efforts. Between 1781 and 1814, the army developed large-scale infrastructures on the site, which testify to the importance the colonial authorities attached to improving and protecting transportation and communications along the route linking Montréal and Kingston.

Site: Parks Canada

The War of 1812 Activity

Type: Document

Two classroom exercises for Grade seven students - a discussion of how the War of 1812 influenced the development of Canada - discovering the meaning of military vocabulary that was commonly used by soldiers during the War of 1812.

Site: Parks Canada

History of Cape Merry

Type: Document

Cape Merry was once called Knight's Round Point. James Knight sailed into the mouth of the Churchill River to begin construction of a fur trading post for the Hudson's Bay Company in 1717. The cape was later renamed to honour Captain John Merry, who was the Deputy Governor of the Hudson's Bay Company from 1712-18. This page describes the construction of the fort and its cannon battery.

Site: Parks Canada

Saint-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site of Canada: Structure and Organization of Forts & Chateaux- Four Forts

Type: Document

The Saint-Louis forts and châteaux site is complex. It consists of three elements: the forts, châteaux and gardens. There were a total of four forts and two Châteaux

Site: Parks Canada

Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site of Canada: The War of 1812

Type: Document

In 1812, the serious economic stakes of this embargo pushed the Americans to declare war against Great Britain. Although most battles took place in Upper Canada, the capture of Montréal remained a prime objective of the Americans, whose strategy rested on a two-pronged invasion via the Richelieu and the St. Lawrence Rivers. Coteau-du-Lac played a major role in defending the St. Lawrence and the border area.

Site: Parks Canada

St. Andrews Blockhouse National Historic Site of Canada : Blockhousess

Type: Document

Blockhouses were a common type of defense structure used throughout colonial North America

Site: Parks Canada

Rideau Canal National Historic Site of Canada : History

Type: Document

The need to deal with the weakness of this water link to the Great Lakes became apparent when tensions between Great Britain and the United States led to war in 1812.

Site: Parks Canada